View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #95
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,822
I am spending the weekend in Huntsville instead of commuting home to Marietta since the Spousal unit is out of town. This allowed me to go to a longer ride today. I had brought my KLR with me since my scooter is not really suitable for long distance rides. Since I had heard that there was some good riding up near Winchester, TN, I decided to head up that way using the directions posted by Rich2 earlier in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicH2 View Post
Take a ride up to Winchester Tn. .....Head East on Hwy 72. Turn left on Hwy 65 in Paint Rock. Turn right on 146. Turn left on 79.

It was supposed to be 65 degrees and partly cloudy (or was that partly sunny?). It felt warm when I left so I didn't dress very warm....I would regret that later.

About 40 miles of droning on the highway got me to Hwy 65. I took a left and soon saw my sign.

65 turned out to be a pleasant ride with moderate to easy curves, nothing real tight. Unfortunately the gloomy weather and the fact that everything was brown made it a far less scenic ride that I suspect it will be on a sunny spring or later day when things are blooming and more green.

Then I turned right on 146. A few curves and a climb in elevation and then the road pretty much straightened out. Then left on 79. Only gentle sweeper on this road, perfect for cruising on a Harley. Actually, a Harley would probably have been more fun than my KLR on this road. I was looking for dirt roads to explore but everything either had a gate or just led to a parking lot. There were lots of signs everywhere indicating that the land off the road was a wildlife management area, private property, or something. 79 became 16 at the TN border.

It was colder than expected due to the heavy overcast and the higher elevation here so I decided to just drone through to Winchester to get some lunch and warm up.

Never been to Winchester before but I found my way to the old town square and decided to stop there for lunch. there were several restaurants there but I chose this one.

And a few pics on the inside.

had a BBQ pork sandwich and fries which were good but not great. Followed that with a hot cherry cobbler a la mode which was great.

Then I wandered around the town square.

The shops in this next pic take up an entire block and are actually just one store.

The inside reminded me of Reny's department store. Reny's is a chain of small old fashioned deptartment stores located in some small cities in Maine.

klaviator screwed with this post 02-19-2011 at 07:34 PM
klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote