View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #25
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,963
First test

To test the new dual-fan setup I just installed and the RED 200F water temp sensor I also installed after the second fan install (OEM sensor is BLUE 220F, see both below) I did the 15 minute idle reset, which is also a good way to get the bike up to full temp.

5-7 minutes into the run the bike was up to 4 bars and holding steady and the dual fans were cycling on and off regularly, good solid blasts of hot air off both sides, which means the bike was holding steady temp regulation at a lower temp (200F) than before at idle, a good sign.

A quick voltage test showed no drop in voltage (high 13's) as the fans cycled on and off, which means the charging system was easily keeping up even at idle.

After reading keeners caution, I felt the right side tank where the fan blows on it and it was very hot. Now I know that in normal operation with no second fan, hot air off the radiator blows through there also, but maybe the forced hot air will heat up that inside tank surface more than what it would normally get, also heating up the fuel itself a bit more too. I'm not really worried all that much about the issue, but will probably lay in some self-adhesive gold or silver heat shield to the inner tank surface right where the forced air blast hits it, to reduce heat transfer to the tank. That should be enough to take care of it, and won't be externally visible.

I have added extra heat shield to several places on the bike, like on my airbox for example, to reduce engine heat transfer to the incoming air

and right tank already to reduce exhaust pipe heat transfer, so this will just be a bit more.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote