View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 02:02 AM   #102
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,740
Saturdays ride may have been dissappointing but that wasn't going to stop me from trying again on Sunday. I knew the area around Guntersville, Al was really scenic since I often pass through it when commuting between Huntsville and Marietta.

The first thing I needed to do was to decide whether to take the KLR or the Kymco. I wanted to take the Kymco but was a little concerned about riding on 431 with it's 65 MPH speed limit. I was planning on avoiding 431 as much as possible since I prefer the small back roads over the highway but I would need to get on 431 at least part of the way. I decided to go with the scooter. This would be my longest ride on the scooter but I figured if Nathanthepostman could ride from Sydney to London on a 105cc Honda, I should be able to handle Huntsville to Guntersville on 150cc.

The weather forecast for the day was 73 degrees and partly sunny. When I left for the ride it was overcast and gloomy, just like yesterday. Just like yesterday, I underdressed for the temperature. So I turned around and got my JR overpants. I should have got an extra sweatshirt too You think I would have learned my lesson. The problem is that it feels warm when you are not riding and when you first put on your gear it tends to feel too hot.

I took back roads to the west side of Huntsville, then headed up Green Mountain Rd. As I mentioned in my last post, I don't hate all signs. here's one of my favorites:

Some times these curvy roads signs are a joke with only a few minor bends ahead. In this case it wasn't. This road is steep, narrow and twisty as it climbs up the mountain. I took a few pics but none captured any of the tight curves. There was still crap on the road left over from the many snowstorms we had this year.

With the rise in elevation came a decrease in the temperature. This mountain really wasn't very high but the drop in temperature was noticeable. I needed to do something to warm up so when I saw this sign:

I decided that I hike was just what I needed to warm up.

klaviator screwed with this post 02-21-2011 at 06:21 AM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote