View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 07:30 AM   #104
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,820
Hike complete, I was now nice and warm and ready to continue my ride.

Green Mountain Rd changes name in the middle to Shandlee Rd. At both ends it is Green Mountain Rd. Kind of unusual. It is gentle hills and curves in the middle as it runs along near the edge of the mountain. There are a few houses up here with some really great views. I'm sure they're not cheap. Then I saw this hanging in someones yard.

Not sure what it was supposed to be but it reminded me of Kokopelli, so prevelant in Utah and New Mexico.

Going down the mountain there were some more steep and tight curves

Then it was back roads for a while. I went through the time town of Owens crossroads, crossed 431, through the tiny town of New Hope, then headed south towards 431.

Just before getting back to 431 I came to an intersection. I needed to go straight but the road to the left headed up a mountain and had a curvy road ahead sign. I had no map of the area and didn't know where it went so I did what any good ADV rider would do. I took it. After climbing up the mountain it straightened out and became fairly boring. Not wanting to back track, I continued until I found a through road on the right. This road was FUN

Another steep curvy road as it went down the mountain towards 431. I saw this natural bridge and stopped for a pic.

As mentioned, some fun curves. the super 8 handles them well and is a blast to ride.

And just so I would remember the name of the road.

Then it was time for the 65 MPH four lane.

It wasn't bad at all. I cruised along at an indicated 50-55. I'm guessing my speedo is about 5 MPH fast but have yet to verify that. There wasn't much traffic on the road and the traffic that did pass me wasn't going that much faster than I was.

Finally, Guntersville in sight.

As you can see, it's still a gloomy day and being close to the water made the temperature drop. Time to get off the bike, play tourist, and take some pics.

klaviator screwed with this post 02-22-2011 at 05:52 AM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote