View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #105
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,351
First order of business in Guntersville was to find a county map. Someday I'll break down and get a GPS. Until them I'll buy maps.....or just wander around seeing "where does that road go" with no idea until I get there. I found a map, then headed off for some waterfront pics.

It's still gloomy.

I head downtown to check out the old main street part of town.

Guntersville has a scenic downtown but it is not very tourist oriented and is dead today.

Nothing much to see here today. I head down the road where all the "real" tourist attractions are. Mcd's. BK, Wendy's etc. I settle on Taco Bell for a light lunch. Then time for more exploring. I check out the east side of Guntersville.

Somebody has a nice view.....and some big bucks.

This road is real scenic. There are no houses to spoil the water view to the right, just a long Hiking/runnig trail and some parking places to stop and enjoy the waterfront.

It's a real nice ride and the sun is starting to break through the clouds.

Then I head back to the main drag and head south on 431 across the bridge.

here's the view on the other side of the bridge.

I had towards the lodge in the pic and continue on past it on Hyatt Dr. This ends up being one of the high points of the trip. The road twists and turns up the mountain. It is residantial at the beginning and the end but there is a section in the middle where it goes through some rugged landscape and becomes a real roller-coaster of a ride

It's narrow steep and twisty, just the way I like my roads!

Even the residential sections are fun and very scenic with lots of great views of the lake and mountains in the background.

Then I head east on 227. The mighty 11 horsepower of my kymco soon have me stuck behind some slow moving cages.

227 is another nice road. No real tight curves but very scenic. Eventually I come to an intersection and stop to consult my map. Perfect timing to get these pics.

I'm not the only one out wasting gas today

of course, I'm wasting a little less than they are. I had filled up back in guntersville. .73 gallons and 67 miles. That works out to 92 MPG! Thats my best so far.

Then I head back towards Guntersville. I do some exploring on the way and head up Hyatt Mountain Rd. Another steep and twisty ride up the mountain.

Anyone looking for a good deal on some real estate??

I consult my map and decide to turn around.

Some pics going down the mountain.

With no leaves on the trees there are great views of the water and mountains in the distance.

but the tight and steep curves keep most of my attention on the road.

klaviator screwed with this post 02-22-2011 at 04:53 AM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote