View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #126
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,024
Last Friday's ride

I am a little late posting this up; I finally found the micro sized USB cable this dang camera needs

Last Friday, local inmate scottnt and I took off up the Klickitat River, and visited Goldendale, Roosevelt, Bickleton, & Mabton,
to help break in his new GSA.
I haven't been on East of Goldendale much, not until Walla Walla and Dayton,
where I spent 3 wonderful months as a kid just out of the BIG shitty city of LA.
So today, Bickleton and Roosevelt called me.

I had indication that the 20% rain forecast was not going to be a problem.
The Alpen Glow on the Hood at 6:50am was a very good sign

If you ever go up the Klickitat River Canyon, you absolutely must stop at your first right, at the old Railroad Bridge, where Fisher Road crosses the river.
Fisher Road is an excellent gravel travel all it's own, up to Appleton & Snowden, but not today.

That Railroad has been turned into a rails-to-trails and this ^^^ bridge is paved over for bicycles and hikers,
if you don't have a throttle to twist .

The Klickitat narrows up here into a deep fast chute that makes for perfect dipnet fishing for the Native Americans.
White men don't get to fish here, until above the fishladders and falls, just upriver.
If you catch this portion of the river at spawning time, you'll see a scene that looks like those old pictures of Salmon; crowded, bright pink, and plentiful.

It's one of my favorite rivers, the kind that makes you at least consider selling one of those bikes in the Garage that you don't use much anymore,
take the money and go buy a driftboat and a fishing license .
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote