View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 05:49 AM   #17
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
I have happy trails boxes mounted on touratech racks with touratech pucks. Truly bomb proof. In June I got back from 30,000 miles of on/off road riding in central and south america over the course of 9 months with 6 other guys (2 others on GSPDs) and our luggage included Zegas, Jesses, Happy trails, Caribou and Alpos. Mine and the Alpos were the ONLY ones that were not getting repaired CONSTANTLY on the trip.

The Jesses and Caribous faired the worst, not due to the boxes, but the mounting systems. The caribou rack for the GSPD just disintegrated completely on numerous occasions. The way the jesses mounted they caused the subframe to break over and over again. The Zegas crumble in crashes. Also the seams are riveted and sealed with silicone so after your first crash all your gear gets wet the next time you ride in the rain. The happy trail boxes are not the prettiest but are truly bomb proof. Mine sustained several crashes, one with a car, and show nothing other than a nice smear of red paint from the car. The happy trail mounts that two of the other guys used came apart a few times and required some welding. That and the little metal hooks they use for attachment aren't the nicest solution. I'm VERY happy with my setup. The touratech racks are SERIOUSLY sturdy. For what they cost, they damn well better be. The Alpos boxes were on an XT600 and were held on by a home-made rack that was probably TOO sturdy. It did the job nicely though.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 02-22-2011 at 08:22 AM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote