Thread: Back in Black
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #99
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,791
The digital voltmeter I used is a Datel.

I think iirc I got it from here: http://www.bikemeters.com/cgi-bin/we...nfig=ent-datel mainly because he had the little bezel & stuff that made it easy.

Here it is as it came out of the package:

In the photo you can see the metal bracket that goes on the back side to hold it, the rubber gasket that seals the face to the fairing, and the faceplate and volt meter

I mounted mine in my upper left fairing as you can see in the photo below, and I used a waterproof push-button switch I got from highwaydirtbikes.com to toggle it off and on.

Here is a photo of me testing it before final install:

I connected it with quick connectors and ran the wires in parallel (zip tied to) the turn signal connector. That way when I install the left fairing I remember to plug in all three wires s

I have not yet figured out where I'm going to move it to now that I don't have an upper fairing with the Safari tanks. I definitely like having it onboard as it lets me keep track of my battery; especially on rides like tomorrow where I'm going to have heated grips, heated jacket, heated pants and my high-beam on... I need to know when to turn things down

Hope this helps

p.s. for me, I usually see the meter run 13.8 to 14.1 volts (higher at idle). I noticed that dropping for about a week (to where it read 13.2-13.4 on average) before my battery finally up and died. Food for thought if you see your voltage starts dropping.

Geek screwed with this post 02-25-2011 at 12:40 PM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote