View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 02:04 AM   #276
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,110
Big River, Waiatahu River, & the ride home

Once we rejoined MarkS the photo output & quality drops considerably - he is a faster rider than me (& made me work harder....).

Rode Big River Monday morning.

Big River is a fairly lumpy 4WD track leading to an old Mine (shut mid 1940's). About 40 kms in?

After lunch we tackled the Waiatahu River to the beginning of the babyhead river boulders.

Next day we packed up for the trip home. Left Reefton Springs Junction, Maruia Saddle, then to Murchison for a coffee.

Howie tackles a ford on the Maruia Saddle.

At the intersection of SH6 at Gowanbridge (after the Braeburn Track) MarkS collected a bee sting to the face to match Howie's one from a few days earlier.

Took a loop out Tadmore Rd. Nothing like 'logging truck operations' signage to help you concentrate on staying left in blind bends. Somehow found ourselves doing the Sherry River Road. Then off to Richmond for Maccas.

Never let it be said that MarkS makes fashion calls over being budget conscious. Jeez Mark, I just can't see what the bees & wasps would find attractive..... I'm just not sure what day-glo yellow & orange says...Its definitely a statement.

Decided not to do the Mangatapu track given the rain clouds sitting on the hills. Rode to Havelock for more coffee ( because I had to stop before I went to sleep). Topped the ride off with a spin thru Queen Charlotte Drive - I hate that road. No. Really.....

The ferry was late, back in Wellington after 10.00, late enough to miss the earthquake.

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 03-04-2011 at 02:37 AM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote