View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #68
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillr View Post
Brilliant work!

Really looking forward to trying this out! I know it's been said a hundred times, but thanks for your hard work!!
Gracias. I can't tell you how excited I am for some warm weather and riding time

I am doing some light scouting in May. I will be running the entire western portion (parts that are new to me) between June 17 - 23 with my riding buddy.

I think I will probably distribute the files in early April. You will receive:

Raw GDB File for MapSource - All tracks and POI's. Tracks will be raw, so several thousand points per forest road in some instances. You will need to either parse them down or upgrade your GPS. The new Garmin 62/78 Series can handle 200 tracks at 10,000 points a piece and would be plug and play. I am upgrading to a 78 for this reason.

Google Earth KML - Great for virtual riding and scouting. This is what I use when I post sample shots of the route. Also check out ESRI's ArcGIS Explorer tool (http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/explorer/index.html) - in some ways more useful than GE becuase you can use different basemaps including 24K Topo USGS quads.

Bonus KML of all GW & Jefferson Forest Roads - I put this together to help plan. A pretty cool thing to have - has all formal names and route numbers and is color coded for seasonally opened roads.

IF YOU ARE A LOCAL WITH DEEP KNOWLEDGE OF THE AREAS IN THIS ROUTE......

I would appreciate your help in preliminary review of the route. Shoot me a PM or post here letting me know where you are from, what you ride and where you are familiar with. I will send you over some information to review if you are interested.
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote