View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 09:40 PM   #45
MikeCont
Gelande Strasse Gebrochen

Oddometer: 2,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai
This is for anyone who started riding after age 30.

I'll phrase the first question in my Mom's exact words, "WTF were you thinking?" (5 years later her opinion hasn't changed)

2. What was your first bike?

3. How do you feel about starting so late?

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru?

I was 54 when I bought my first bike....that was last november.

My first bike was an 04 r1150 gs. I was looking at RT's but the salesdood talked me into the GS. I paid the price for buying a tall, big bore bike. It was stupid of me to start with the "big dog." I had saved and paid cash for the bike, so I plunked down the green, and with no orientation rode it away. The second thing I did, not two hours later, was tip the beast over at a gas station.
I took the MSF course and have ridden 3800 miles since I purchased the bike. I bought the right gear and am becoming a better rider (no accidents or close calls, I have read a great deal and I practice all of the time).
I wish I had had the money earlier and started riding earlier. I had to overcome a great deal of parental resistance. My wife is very supportive of my riding.
I have probably only ridden three other bikes in my life....and that was in the the '70's and '80s for a total of 6 hours of riding.
The GS was fairly difficult to learn on, but it wasn't the bike...it was me. I now am not as tightly wound when I ride and I told my wife I would give up my car and truck(s) before I would give up my bike.
I want a ST 1300 honda and a r1200rt. I also want a thumper.
MikeCont is offline   Reply With Quote