Day 0 - Prologue
This RR will be an exploration of my trip, my encounters and my thoughts. It will not:
• go to exotic places like Mexico, SA, or Africa, etc.
• have all of the excellent photography like some of you (I am using my Driod phone)
• have the youthful encounters (sometimes implied in other reports)
• have all the adventuresome exploits. Breakdowns, thefts, etc. (Hopefully!)
But it will:
• chronicle my trip and the adventures therein
• include my crazy thoughts, collected while riding for hours on end
• provide some useful information to readers about riding
• represent a portion of my life that will never be retrieved
Who Am I?
• Semi-Retired but still young at 53
• Completed trips over the years to places like Jasper, Banff, Yellowstone, Glacier
• Did a trip last summer into eastern Oregon (john Day, Pendleton, and the Oregon coast (Cannon, Lincoln City, etc) on ST1300
• Spent last 2 summers on 12GS in Alaska, lots of highways including Denali
• Road back down the ALCAN last summer
• Plan to ride to Mexico and South America in the fall
What Am I Doing?
• Riding to down the US West Coast and around the Southwest
• Attending and watching the Pac-10 basketball tournament in LA Staples 3/10-3/13
• Playing some golf with some friends in Palm Desert, La Quinta, Scottsdale
• Maybe watching a couple of spring baseball games in Phoenix, et al, if I get there in time
• Enjoying the symbiotic relationship with the bike that comes from riding long distances
Why Am I Riding?
• Riding to where there is actual sunshine and getting out of the rain and snow in Seattle
• Am on a year-long semi-sabbatical from work. Still running things, etc, but not doing client work.
When Am I Going?
• 30-45 days in March and April
• Starting March 4th
• Ending in April
Where Am I Going?
• Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Nevada
How Am I Riding?
• 2006 Honda ST1300
• Yes, I left the 12GS at home