I recently purchased a Shorai, LFX09A2 battery for my Honda XR650L. The Shorai battery weighs 4.8 pounds less than the stock battery, and its small size allowed me to relocate the battery on top of the XR650L air box.
I prepared the seat pan by removing the lateral rib that extends in front of the air box, and shaving the excess flashing from the vent holes.
Then I removed all the contents from the battery box, and freed the wiring harness from the battery box. I disconnected the CDI unit, and pulled the fuses from the fuse box. After the battery box was empty, I removed it completely from the motorcycle, shedding over 10 pounds of highly placed weight.
Next, I loosened all the wiring connected to the air box, and I disconnected all the plugs. I then pulled the wires leading to the battery box under the frame, and cleared them from the top of the air box. Next, I cut back the tape about 1 ˝-inches from the fork on the main wiring harness.
This allowed me to shove the main wiring harness down into the space in front of the air box.
One of the wiring boots is located on the right side of the fuel tank. I rerouted all the wires leading to this wiring boot in front of the shock absorber. I also shoved the wiring boot coming from the right side of the fuel tank down into the space in front of the air box.
I then prepared a flat surface for the Shorai battery by trimming the small, lateral wall on the top front of the air box.
After lengthening the wires leading from the tail light and turn signals, I routed these wires from the left side of the bike, under the frame, into the area in front of the air box. I routed the wire from the rear brake switch from the right side of the bike, under the frame, into the same area.
After placing the Shorai battery into position, I reconnected all the wires, and routed the CDI wire, the starter relay, and the fuse box outside the frame, to the right, rear end of the air box.
After changing the position of the connectors on the starter relay, I mounted the starter relay, and the fuse box, onto the top, rear of the air box, outside the frame. I routed the CDI wire into the hole of the air box, and attached the CDI unit inside the air box with a zip tie.
After reinstalling the fuses, I trimmed a small portion of the “wall” surrounding the air intake to allow me to connect the positive terminal to the battery. Finishing the job, I connected both battery terminals, and reinstalled the fuses.
The saddle reinstalls as easily as it did before.
By removing the battery box, I shaved a little over 10 pounds from my motorcycle. The Shorai battery weighs 1.2 pounds, so the net weight loss resulting from this battery relocation was about 9 pounds.