View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Spud

I really like what you've done here, and I'm impressed at how thorough your documentation is. I appreciate the fact that you didn't cut up the wiring harness to dispose of the excess wiring. However, I have two questions that would concern me when I commence to incorporate this attractive modification: 1) can the wires get to rubbing on the moving shock absorber, perhaps even move around to get crunched in the coils of the spring, under compression? And 2) is the battery perfectly happy to operate on its side? (as opposed to the expected upright position)
Thanks Spud
Thank you for the kind works, OnO. All the wires are located above the shock absorber coil, so I believe they are safe. However, for added protection, you could easily insert the wires inside some sections of old inner tube. Of course, you could also shorten the wires themselves.

According to the manufacturer, it is safe to position the Shorai battery on its side.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote