View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,966
XR250R Build

Back in January of 2010, we had a break in the weather and I went on a ride with some local friends. I was riding my XR650L, which is now fairly modded. It's old, but competent. On this ride, it was warm, and a mix of mud, melting snow, and maybe a little ice. Trails were not that technical, but greasy. Looked like this:

After getting worked with the weight of my heavy XR650L, it was painfully clear I needed a lighter bike for singletrack riding. I do not really have the youthful sharp reactions to ride a 2T well any more, so I was thinking about a small to mid sized 4T bike, that could be plated. Being a project kind of guy, I also wanted something that I could build from the ground-up. Once done, I would ride it for a while and eventually keep as a spare.

My shortlist had several models, ad I was hoping for something hammered or blown up so I could get it cheap. A person I knew mentioned "I know of a blown up XR250R, a newer one.". It was not the first bike on my list, but I called the seller, The bike was in good condition, but did not run. He wanted to cut a deal over the phone, explained that it seemed like it broke the cam or something. He wanted $850, I told him that if I had to commit sight unseen, I would go to $650. He agreed. Hopped in the truck and drove down from Bend to get it.

It was a bit neglected but had very little use:

More.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 10-31-2014 at 03:25 PM
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote