The first thing was to fix the awful playbike riding position. Honda mounts the bars quite rearward, and gives them a lot of sweep, putting the rider back and making it really hard t weight the front wheel.
Added some CR Mid bars, good height with little sweep. I also got a new Billet Racing Products upper triple, that places the bars much more forward:
The clamps move things about 1.25" forward, and the bars place your hands another 4.5" fwd:
When I pulled the triple off, things were dirty:
That is not rust on the star nut, it is this Norcal clay. I pulled everything apart, greased all the bearings, and put the controls back on:
I skipped the handguards at the time, will add them later.