View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #27
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Super, Spud I'm loving your mod from a distance; it's so well thought out and documented. So in practice, how does it feel in terms of handling the bike??? ...
Thank you, OnO. The bike handles great without the 10+ pounds hanging high, and rearward on the left side of the bike. After completing the battery relocation, the first think I noticed was the bike was much easier to push around.
Quote:
...I see what I might consider a slight drawback to the fuseholder location. If a fuse blows out on a ride, will it be necessary to have tools along to access it for a change?...
Yes, your are correct. I need to remove the right side cover to access the fuse box in its current location. Therefore, I need to carry a 10mm socket to remove the bolt on the right side cover. However, the CDI unit is easily accessible, without tools, inside the airbox.
Quote:
...I think extending the wiring to it is an invitation to later problems. But not absolutely so. I'd reconsider...
My good friend Andy has been a professional diesel mechanic for 30+ years; he warned me my fuse box is currently vulnerable to moisture. Andy suggested two options: seal the fuse box to prevent moisture from entering it; or relocate the fuse box under the saddle. I respect his opinion, so I am carefully considering his advice. If the fuse box were placed inside a nice, small electrical box, it could be routed a few inches farther under the fender, and attached to either the frame, or the back of the air box. The fuse box would then be protected from moisture, and it might become more accessible from that location.
Quote:
...The problem I've had with velcro fastening isn't the velcro itself, but rather the adhesive holding the velcro to the opposing surfaces. While it's great new, it doesn't take a lot of time, especially with heat and damp cycles, to cause it to dry out and let go. So you're left in the breeze, so to speak, with the two velcro halves still solidly attached to each other
Thank you for warning. I will tug on the battery, and test the integrity of the velcro every time I remove the seat cover. The velcro is inexpensive, so I can easily replace it every year as part of my preventive maintenance. As another option, I can simply zip tie the battery to the top of the airbox. Movement of the Shorai battery is further restricted by the airbox supports on each side of the frame, the forward wall of the air box intake hole, the wiring in front of the battery, and the battery connectors themselves.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 03-09-2011 at 07:20 PM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote