View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #42
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
So, after about 56 hours on the bus, we stepped out at Rice and Beans in San Ignacio

My first task was to get to the office and rent a room...once that was done, I lugged my bags to the room and collected my bike from its lair....in the midst of that, David approached me and introduced himself. David had heard of this ride through the Baja Nomads forum and asked if he could hook up with our ride.

Through previous correspondence, I had explained to David that I was planning a different route for most of my 10 riding days and he had seemed agreeable to that. He would frequently respond to my occasional queries of "Where do you want to go today?" with the usual "I am on permanent vacation and am just following you around on your holiday!" That seemed like a low-pressure response and I figured I could "trust his judgement" and go with his easy-going manner.

Unloading from the bus, my first goal was to get the bike over to the room, settle for a moment or two, and then join the group in the restaurant for dinner. Once I unwound a bit, I joined the group for dinner as it was close to 8:00 pm by this time. Hooking up with David was the first time I had ever had such an encounter of riding with someone I had never met before and had no sense of what that experience was like.

I tend to be a solo rider but am learning how to play well with others as my years pile up. I started riding street in 1976 at the age of 25; my riding experience soon included riding on gravel and dirt roads a fair amount as those were the roads that took me to the "Can we get there from here?" places that held interest for me. I didn't get my first dirt bike until 2000...

Over the years I had come to accept that BMW GS's were NOT true adventure bikes, no matter how cool their ads were. I treated them as such but have come to realize that the Bavarian Beast is just too heavy a pig for most of the places I want to ride... and I was getting tired of beating the 1100GS up in places that deserved a different bike....a better tool for the job.

Don't get me wrong....I LOVE the GS as it has and will continue to serve me well for years to come...

But I digress......back to Baja

Supper was good (Pescado con mojo de ajo) and the group spirit was
one of excitement and anticipation. A few beers, a few margs, and lots of eager-to-ride folks.....off to bed by 10:00 or so.

Up early and getting packed for departure Sunday, Feb 13th....

The bus was empty... (Thanks for these pics, Dave):

Packing was underway...

David ready to go...

and his ride....

I took a quick ride into town before the group start and took a few pics of one of the local race teams"

With their electric road racer....just dial it in....

Back to R&B for the cluster start....and we were 9 guys headed southwest to the lagoon for our first leg of the trip....to Mulege The Hard Way...over a route I have been wanting to do for the past 5 years....

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote