View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 07:29 PM   #56
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Day Two: Around Mulege and Bahia Concepcion

David and I met the guys at La Hacienda around breakfast time, yakked a bit, and went to Las Casistas for breakfast.

The gang was getting ready to ride from Mulege west a bit and then south through the route to San Jose de Guajademi to San Isidro and continue through to San Jose Comondu and then to Loreto for the day's ride ...

Randall (L.) and Ross sorting stuff out:

Lev (L.) and Reid doing the same:

David oversaw the entire event and, as he was new to us all, he sat back and bit his tongue while Ross captured the moment for his posterior....er, I mean "posterity" ...

The gang made their way out of the courtyard, not to be seen for another 10 days or so....Wayne's video posted in a reply above catches the gist of their ride.

David and I returned to the river house and we did a bit of bike maintenance:
- air filters were clean;
- no flats;
- bolts tightened;
- oil levels OK

.....so we geared up for a cruise south out of town to visit friends and acquaintances along Bahia Concepcion... a mellow pavement ride along some of Baja's prettiest coastline.

Isla Requeson:

Our first stop at Bahia Coyote was short as "Pompano" was away somewhere locally from the beautiful home there that he had recently sold...his RV was his temporary home for the time being and rumour had it that he was going to the Pacific side of Panama for his next venture in exotic homesteading....and most excellent fishing.

We rode further south to Buena Ventura to visit an acquaintance of David's who runs a shoreline restaurant.

We had a beer and some agua before returning to Mulege where I wanted to drop in and visit with a fellow who seemed to be doing something pretty close to what I have been considering for some years ....running away to Baja with an Airstream in tow...

Richard has been staying at Cuesta Real for at least the past several months, a lovely riverside motel/RV that I have stayed at previously...

And he is equipped in a very classical way:

While we visited for only a short while, it was great to meet Richard. Clearly a creative guy...

More about his travels:
http://360panoramas.com/

David and I then returned to the riverhouse a few blocks away, puttered around a bit and then went looking for dinner. We first went to some new place south of town on the highway but it was packed with gringo RVers and a local Traditional dance presentation. As it was packed with folks and reservations, we had a beer and decided to go back to town and eat at Equipales, a great upstairs restaurant. A good meal was had and we returned to the house ...as we need to recoup from such a strenuous day.

We decided that evening that Day #3 would be up to the tip of Punta Concepcion... the peninsula that creates and defines Bahia Concepcion.

I had camped there in 1995 for 3 days on my first Baja moto-adventure and had returned to the southern part on other recent rides ('05 and '07)...

David had also been there a few times and wanted to revisit a northern canyon leading to the Sea of Cortez.

The plan sounded good to me

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged screwed with this post 03-15-2011 at 02:34 PM
motoged is offline   Reply With Quote