View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 11:27 PM   #34
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 3,997
Quote> If I were to guess, the mods look like they were performed sometime in the early 1960's, not a bad job really, its period correct and looks well done. The fenders could be from Wassell as they made a ton of stuff in the 50's & 60's. I am not a purest, if it were mine I would do a mechanical restoration of the engine and transmission and just ride it while I collected parts for the cosmetic aspects of the bike. either way it is a very interesting motorcycle.

: Mike

That is exactly what I hope to do...Address the mechanics of the bike and do only what's necessary for the aesthetics. From what I'm finding a total restoration on this bike would eclipse the value of the completed bike. I'll need to do some serious clean up but would like to keep the original patina alive if possible. I'll have to do something with the "Costa Rican Maroon" fenders though...

I saw one pristene KS-601 which sold for $17.5k but likely cost more than that to complete. The one below, with a Stieb sidecar sold for the paltry sum of $15k at the las Vegas MC Auction in January. The bike had to have $25k invested from the looks
of it.

So the Zundapp quest continues.
Have found that my new bike is a KS-601 Sport. The "sport" model has a couple more horsepower, higher compression and there were fewer of them made according to some knowledgeable Zundapp guys. I'm in AZ. and the bike is in MT. so I'm itching to get up there and pick it up. I haven't laid eyes on the bike for 3 years or more. It has not been touched or moved since I saw it last, when these photos were taken, just has collected 3 more years worth of dust.
I've also found that the "Red" Denfield seat is an original one. ?Red?

My long owned BMW R75/5 is going to a new owner in Phoenix later this week and it looks like I'm dragging home a clean R65 BMW in the deal. Never been a R65 fan but maybe it will be fun to ride for a change. The newest bike I've ever owned was a 1981 model so the 1982 BMW R65 will be the most modern bike for me.

I've been furiously digging around the Internet and am finding a kind of "Underground" Zundapp network around the planet. Nothing much shows up quickly but kind of like peeling an onion, you finally get through layers of links and find a parts source. Have found complete reproduction exhaust systems, many engine parts and have connected with a few more Zundapp dealers / owners. Many parts sources are in Europe and some in Austrailia.
The original fenders, tool box and air tubes the previous owner found came from Costa Rica.

This is going to be a real interesting process, finding the few obscure missing parts I will need. Maybe I can get my wife to take on a night job to fund this thing. ...................

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 03-14-2011 at 11:48 PM
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote