View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #60
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Day Three: Exploring Bahia Concepcion Peninsula...

The plan for the day was to explore the west side of the peninsula that defines Bahia Concepcion from the Sea of Cortez.

The paved ride to the south end of the bahia was simple and scenic. There was some road reconstruction being done in several places as bridges were being built where some of the highway had been damaged in hurricanes over the past few years...and the construction looked competent.

David and I dropped in again at Bahia Coyote to say hello to a Baja Nomad, "Pompano"....if we could find him. Fortunately he was there and we had a brief hello/chat. As we were geared to ride, we did not accept his kind offer of cerveza...but continued on.

"Pompano" is a type of fish...

that in no way resembles Roger...

Well.....maybe a few things in common ....but I think he took on the tag as he is an avid fisherman.

We rode on...

The sand flats at the foot of the bay invited some speed trials, but gullies and washouts along the track soon brought us to our senses.

After a few miles we headed north along a twisty double-track that was mostly sand and rocks, with occasional hardpack and beach...

About a third of the way up the peninsula, David found a track leading to a place we were hoping to find. He brought me to a stop...

at a turnoff that offered "excellent ubication" !!!

We had a break and wondered out loud for a while...."What the hell is ubication?"

As we were to learn a week later in Bahia Asuncion that "ubicacion" is Spanish for "the state or quality of being located or situated"....so, it seems it was a good spot we were headed to.

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote