View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #62
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
Day Three (cont'd):

We detoured east from the coastline to see what excellent situation we might see ahead. Within a mile or so we came upon a simple rancho where, while a pick-up was parked there, we saw no people. We passed the casa and dipped down into a sandy arroyo that led us to a corral of sorts ...

and beyond the corral, the box canyon offered up something unique....

A stone and cement wall joined each side of the canyon, creating a dam which held back water from an oasis spring...

I had read about this place before and David had been discussing it the day before with the owners of the restaurant at Buena Ventura. I was thrilled to have found it

We got off our bikes and began to explore.

David chose to park in the sun...

while I chose the shade...

We clambered up some rocky ledges that led to the oasis...

The water was inviting as the day was hot, but we passed on the opportunity...

David encouraged me to suck my gut in for this pic....I told him it was sucked in

View to the west from the dam...

I climbed back down (in reverse, as the knees don't like those sudden stops )...

And we checked out the base of the dam which housed a clever water trough with an automatic fill system...

A simpler way to cool off a bit...

After my dunk, I meandered over to the corral to say hola to Betsy...

She wasn't too interested in my efforts to converse with her as she couldn't understand my poor Spanish skills...

While sitting in the shade ...

David, a pilot, explained that when buzzards are circling overhead, they aren't just waiting for you to die so they can eat you....they are simply using the thermal currents to stay aloft with little effort so they can detect their next meal while conserving energy....

As a space cadet, that made sense to me

After this pleasant break from the heat, we rode back to the carnival ride of the road up along the coast...

Before long, we came to an area where we saw something new to me...Mexican fishermen in boats using sails!?!?

They seemed to be anchored just offshore from a fish camp...

(This shoreline had more than its share of what looked like freezers or refrigerators that had been washed up on shore. I thought they might have been flotsam from the hurricane two years ago that destroyed so many homes along the Mulege River that was a dozen miles northwest of this location.)

Later in the day when returning past this same point, we saw that the people from the sailboats were gringos. We stopped for a chat to learn that they were a NOLS crew out there for a month-long program. I mentioned to their guide that I had seen a Baja bobcat at the north end of the peninsula...he said he did not know that they existed in Baja (and looked like he didn't believe me)....

Maybe I could be a NOLS guide

We continued north after a few obligatory snaps...

We were headed for the northern tip where David wanted to cross to the Sea of Cortez through a sandy canyon.

Have I mentioned yet how much I truly hate soft deep sand???

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged screwed with this post 03-17-2011 at 03:23 PM
motoged is offline   Reply With Quote