View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #19
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,026
Bad VR's

there are several components in the VR's that are getting incredibly hot for their small size, in a waterproof resin jacket in the aluminum heat sink.

VR800 owners all move their VR's into a better airstream

Try Rick's Electrics (NOT Ricky Stator). He makes the stuff himself and knows more about this than anyone I've ever talked to. If he doesn't have one that will work & if there's is a market, he'll make some or rewind yours. He knows how to balance the windings/flywheel & VR to suit each application, and talk at length on the phone, something the guys importing "upgraded" stators/VRs from China can't do.

I have an ElectroSport 400 watt stator in my KLR650 running a stock VR moved into an airflow pocket under my sidecover- much better cooling then under the seat where Kawasaki put it. I bought a higher rated VR but never have put it in, and those are dual PIAA Intense White H4's running on that bike- it always starts, bulbs don't blow. both bulbs usually on highbeam... and I like to ride in tight woods at night, not the day & the lower RPMs & battery recovery is good- if you're crawling and the fan comes on the battery starts making up the difference. I don't have to add water to the cells either. Balance.

airflow... cooling... make your own extension lines if need be
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."

geometrician screwed with this post 03-17-2011 at 06:44 PM
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote