View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
Tirespin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Weld86 kickstand bracket mod & install

I ordered the skidplate and kickstand bracket from Weld86. I'm happy with both.

The kickstand bracket I'm also pleased with, but after looking it over and the mounting bosses on the engine, I decided I would rather it not bolt to the engine case bosses at all. I chamfered the backside of the bracket so that a M10x30mm flat head bolt sat flush with the surface, bolted the kickstand to the bracket with nylock nuts, then bolted the entire assembly to the frame and the front engine bolt (with goes into a much thicker and stronger looking part of the engine case). I think this is how the BDCW bracket attaches, but this setup adds the front bolt as well. With this mod, I think I have the best kickstand bracket you can get!

Kudos to Weld86 for two good products at great prices.

The skidplate is a quality piece, thick aluminum, nice welds, and a perfect fit. There is no issue with it and the new style of SWMoto tank guards. It is quite heavy and full coverage; check out how high it comes to the exhaust pipe on the right side. I think it could be lighter without giving up any real protection just by having it not come up so high on the sides. Overall I'm happy with it, I'm good erring on the side of too strong. I may still cut it down a bit, and I'll add a cable from it to the rear brake lever.