View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 05:29 AM   #28
Sparrowhawkdesign
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Laugh Children on motorcycles

This is a favorite topic for me. I took my 8yr old nephew on a three week coast to coast trip in my sidecar. We camped all the way and it was one of the best rides of my life. He is now 36 and still talks about it. Things like this are too important to miss out on.

My son was on the back of my motorcycle at three but not until I had custom built a special seat similar to the plastic seats you sometimes see on the back of bicycles. Full wrap around like an arm chair and foot rests built in to his size. This was bolted to my bike. Once he was seated in that with me in front of him he could fall asleep without falling off and I always new when that happened because his helmet would clunk into my back. Despite the fact that these were at best no more than 20 minute rides we didn't do it until I finally found a helmet that he could wear without being too heavy and fit properly. Finding that was the hardest part.

I can't say enough about the fact that almost every child will eventually get bored and fall asleep and I will not strap them to myself or the motorcycle. I don't want to be strapped to my motorcycle for obvious reasons and they shouldn't be either. I watched my Niece falling asleep on the back of her dad's motorcycle and it was too scary for words. She was about 12 at the time. I was able to come along side and sound the alarm. It still gives me the shakes thinking about it.

Bought my Grand Niece a JR50 for Christmas but she likes her electric start ATV better so I guess my Grandson will get the JR. Besides myself nobody else in the family rides but most of the parents grew up riding with me so they understand. Lots of great memories.

Barry
Sparrowhawkdesign is offline   Reply With Quote