View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,935
Day 1 Switching Deserts

Thursday, March 10th

The ride starts in the desert, but it's the wrong desert. Like all of my rides I start out in the Sonoran Desert. I've been reading Death Valley Ride Reports for years. It's time to stop dreaming and go do it. I've been through DV several times on bikes, but have never ridden off the pavement there. To start the ride I must switch to the Mojave Desert.

On the US93 it doesn't take long to reach the Joshua Tree forests.

To tell the truth, I really wasn't in the mood for this ride yet. After spending months studying maps and dreaming up this ride all I needed was the time off. Now that the time has come, for some reason I'm not feeling it...

yet.

I jump off the highway to take a little "shortcut".

This is a fun road with lots of twists and hills.

Who Will Blink First?

Oh Crap! I knew there was a river crossing on Signal Road even though I've never ridden this crossing before. I hadn't expected much water. We haven't seen rain for weeks. There was a big sand bar that was super soft and deep running through the middle of the river. I opted for the deeper line on the left side to avoid the worst sand. If I can make it about 2/3 of the way across there are some rocks that should provide some traction. I still need to cross the tail of the sand bar though. The deepest water was about 2 feet.

Whew! That was close. I nearly bogged down completely in that soft sand. I was inching forward with the rear tire spinning, the engine roaring and paddling like crazy with my boots. The rear tire finally found some rocks and propelled me outta there.

I'm trying out new tires for this trip. The new Kenda Big Blocks are designed for big bikes. They are a little more off-road oriented than the TKCs I've been running. I'm not sure I could've made it through that river with TKCs. I plan to torture these tires to see how they last.

So that's why no one else was crossing the river. I swear there were no such signs coming in from 17 Mile Road.

Joshua Tree

Alamo Road is a high-speed blast!

A Funky Tourist Attraction Along the Interstate

I jump on I-40

and head into Kingman for fuel.

dave6253 screwed with this post 03-19-2011 at 08:41 PM
dave6253 is online now   Reply With Quote