View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite
 
jesusgatos's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: on the road
Oddometer: 2,334
The other project we started working on is a KTM headlight mask. Wanted to make something that we can cut to fit another, better headlight. So the first thing to do was make a mold of the headlight mask and headlight. Tried taping over the headlight, then filling the gaps with bondo, but that just made a mess. There was no way to maintain the contours of the stock headlight because I couldn't tell how thick the bondo was anywhere until I sanded all the way through it.




So I chipped off the bondo, pulled the tape, and filled the gaps with silicone caulking. After that dried, I applied some mold-release compound.




Laying-up the first layer of fiberglass was pretty challenging, mostly because of the mounting boss for the brake cable guide. I'm planning on modifying that mounting boss to make it easier to make, but wanted to start with an accurate reproduction of the stock headlight mask.




This morning I laid-up some lightweight mat in the mold and then backed that with some heavier mat. This first mold is a throwaway part, so left it pretty thin (fiberglass + resin = $$$). But was concerned about it turning out wonky parts, so laid it in the sandbox. Seemed to support the mold pretty well and I didn't have any sand fall into the mold, but it probably would have been a good idea to cover the sand with saran wrap or a garbage bag or something.

jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote