View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #15
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,894
From Mill Bay the road continues along the shore to Cowichan Bay. This is a quaint little marine community that caters to boaters of all kinds and is home to numerous houseboats. There is a deep sea dock for freighters to load lumber and logs bound for the Orient as well as anchorages for merchant ships to wait for space at the docks in Vancouver.

Looking back over the fields towards Cowichan Bay. You can see the superstructure of the ship anchored in the bay.

Trumpeter swans winter in the area. Yes, birds actually fly south to Victoria - it truly is the balmiest part of Canada.

It's a lovely day however the snow isn't that far away.

From Cowichan Bay the road takes me to Chemainus.

Chemainus is justly famous for the murals painted on many of its buildings. The scenes depict the history of the area and it is obligatory to take at least one picture of a mural.

The next village on the northbound route is Crofton. There is a pulp and paper mill here, you can definitely tell from the smell! The barges below are filled with wood chips used in the paper-making process.

From Crofton I wind my way back to the highway and head to Ladysmith for gas and lunch at Tim Horton's. If you've been to Canada you know about Timmie's. It's a coffee/doughnut shop founded by a hockey player - you can't get much more Canadian than that! In the east the rule is that as the Tim Horton's you left disappears in your rear view mirror the next appears ahead of you
I again leave the main highway and enter the farmlands of Cedar, following the backroads to Nanaimo.

The destination for the day was Rathtrevor Beach near the community of Parksville north of Nanaimo. This is where I would find out if I really could face my fears and sleep in an actual tent.
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote