View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #34
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,838
I was feeling pretty good as I left Rathtrevor Beach that morning. I'd successfully spent the night in a tent and lived to tell the tale. As I cruised along I was already planning my next adventure in more spring like temperatures. Long Beach is definitely going to happen in April!

Next stop was 15 minutes down the road in Qualicum Beach where I was to rendezvous with fellow ADVer and Stromtrooper grizzlyone for breakfast. Several months ago I had been checking out who had checked me out on ADV and I noticed that a person from Vancouver Island had looked at my profile. I'd PM'd him and we'd been in contact ever since. He mentioned that he'd been lurking for a couple of years without making a post. Hey buddy, you've been well and truly outed now!

He's a very interesting guy with an adventurous life and great taste in bikes and riding gear

Over breakfast we decided to head inland and slab it north on the four lane to Campbell River then drift back along the coast. It was a fantastic ride! There was almost no traffic and the sun stayed out for most of it. We continued past Campbell River to Seymour Narrows, the northernmost point of the trip.

I apologize for the quality of this picture. I was mucking around with it attempting to remove power lines and inadvertently saved it. Generally I take 4 or 5 shots of the same view in case it comes out blurry or otherwise crappy but for some reason I only took one so I'm stuck with it.

Seymour Narrows is the most dangerous part of the Inside Passage to Alaska. It's only 4 cables wide (700 metres or 2400 feet for non-nautical types) and currents run up to 16 knots (28 kph or 18 mph). From April to October huge cruise ships share the waterway with tugs towing barges, fishboats and numerous pleasure craft. The Canadian Coast Guard provides traffic information to vessels in the area and has specific procedures for vessels making a transit through the Narrows. That's part of what I do

While we were admiring the view it began to rain. We jumped back on the bikes and high-tailed it back to Campbell River. The skies opened up! The rain pelted down and as we approached Campbell River it really started to sting. Then I noticed it was bouncing off the tank - it had turned into hail.
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.

Cowgirl screwed with this post 03-23-2011 at 07:59 PM
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote