View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
WaywardRider
a geek on two

Oddometer: 40
The long version starts from Seattle last Thursday ... but the short version is that I left San Francisco around 1030 am Wednesday morning after checking the weather. Took Hwy 101 south and for the first few miles the weather was clear ... but the rain started soon enough and I mostly kept to the slow lane because of poor visibility (and the kamikaze Cali cagers). The rain cleared up about the time I left the multi-lanes behind around 85 miles south of where I started.

But not wanting to be outdone by rain, the winds kicked up at that point and continued for the next 100+ miles and there was a few times I thought I was going to be blown into oncoming traffic. I kept to the far right of the lane after that and so when I got pushed over a few feet I didn't end up decorating some trucker's front grill.

Took 46 east and the winds slowly calmed even as the rain picked back up. By the time I got to 99 south the rain was coming down hard and the fog/ once again made visibility almost nil. But I was only going as far as Bakersfield for the day ... and made it there just before 5 pm.

Weather is looking dodgy for tomorrow's ride to PSR via 58 so still considering alternate routes ... will be checking things in the morning before heading out.

'09 Triumph Bonneville
'02 Suzuki GZ250

Blog of Spring 2011 Solo Ride through the US: http://www.waywardrider.com
WaywardRider is offline   Reply With Quote