View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 11:21 PM   #308
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,038
Mk 3 Pivot Pegz on a 1991 BMW R100GS

I decided that the pegs were in serious need of changing after the Clarence River Reserve Weekend. The narrowness of the stock pegs are just too painful to stand for any length of time, especially if the terrain is rough. They are also too high. My feet were a mess for a week after the ride.

I would have liked to have purchased the SWT-Sport pegs, because not only were they wider, but they also dropped the height about 6 cms. But at EUR 136 before freight they were a little spendy, & the Website was in German & was unfriendly to Google translation.

Instead I bought some Mk 3 Pivot Pegs from Advdesign.com, which have landed at NZD260. Here's a series of photos of them mounted on the bike & in comparison to the stock pegs.

These are 6cm wide, compared with the miserable 2.5cms of the stockers. They also drop the peg height 1.5-2.0cm, but unfortunately bring the pegs forward 1-5cm -not exactly what I was after.

Note that in all of the mounted pictures I have placed the pivot peg spacer & spring above the peg - the recommended install is below. I am trying for a slight height reduction.

My sidestand is just resting on the peg.

I haven't yet ridden the bike with these pegs, but will report initial impressions. I can quite see why some people find the pivoting motion disconcerting. The action of the pivot is limited by an internal peg to +/- 20 degrees.

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 03-23-2011 at 11:43 PM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote