View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #11
wabbit45
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
I don't need to read your website info to know that this is not 'new tech'. It may be tech wrapped in a new package, but it's not new tech. It's simply a different setup of the same old stuff.

The mics used are what we in the communications field call short throw uni-directional mics (one way... and facing the intended sound source). The reason they don't pick up much in the way of road or ambient noise outside the helmet is because they simply can't reach out any farther than the distance to the front of the mouth. That's a function of the mic's sensitivity. The 'cone' yours creates around the mouth is simply predicated on the sensitivity of the mics themselves.

Andy stated he sounded muffled. Makes sense. The mics are picking up the voice mostly from the throat where the sound originates and is the loudest and closest to the dual mic setup. Ears are above the throat and at the top of the airway, but the gums, teeth, and cheeks all serve as mufflers or sound dampeners, as well as functioning to direct the brunt of the sound forward and out the mouth.

A reader on the Concours site also stated he was told he sounded like Darth Vader. It's a sound similar to speaking through a paper towel tube! In a nutshell your mics pick up sound from the voice that sounds the same as when you listen to yourself talk while you have your fingers in your ears. More of a bass sound and a bit mufffled.

Boom mic setups like the Sena, Cardio, and Interphone use a short throw uni-directional mic pointed at the opening of the mouth. That's optimal for clarity and it also happens to be the closest sourse of true vocal reproduction, so the voice is crystal clear. It's not picking up the sound made from the area of the vocal chords. The dual mics you use do pick that up, and it's throaty and deep and muffled. The mouth is a speaker, the throat is the sound source.

Look at it this way - Would you stand behind or to the side of your hi-fi at home for optimal sound quality, or are your speakers aimed AT you?!

The military application of this 'new technology' does not include speakers, I guarantee you that. They are earbuds with a short wire coming off one side that reaches the corner of the mouth. You bend it to the mouth so that it picks up the true sound of the voice. You don't aim it at the throat.

Another reason I know that they don't use speakers in their helmets or earflaps of their helmets is this: You claim basically 98dB for voice and 97dB for music. You think you're gonna hear your squad or unit through the speakers when you're in a fire fight listening to machine guns and mortar fire, let alone tank canons???!!! They have dB levels of 125dB-150dB. I'd be in battle going, 'What? WHAT? WHAT??? PLEASE REPEAT CAUSE I CAN'T HEAR YOU!' At 98dB your system puts out max what normal hiway noise levels are. So there we are, trying to battle ambient noise through the helmet to hear conversations or listen to music at 80mph. The only way to hear anything with your system at your claimed 137-145mph is if I am sitting in a car while doing so.

What would be revolutionary woud be wireless earbuds (preferably fit adjustable - you can get molded earbuds at motorcycle dealerships if you want to shell out the clams, but they are a wired unit... so far) and a wireless uni-directional mic. you'd wear earbuds about the size of hearing aides and the mic would perhaps be the size of the metal cylinder on a pencil eraser, and velcroed to the chinbar optimally above or below the chin venting. THAT'S NEW TECH!!! Recharging would be easy by using a charge matt, or a 3-into-1 cord where the 3 would be micro pin connectors (smaller than 1/8") that hook onto the 'hearing aides' and wireless mic and connect them to a USB or micro USB port.

So, in the long run I still think it's a compromise in sound quality at the very least that your company offers with it's boomless setup. I've listened to your sound samples. Problem there is that it's not a video, so how do I know the user was actaully speaking or listening while wearing a helmet? Answer is I don't.

You can bet your ass that if you give a sample to WebBikeWorld that they are going to FIELD TEST THEM and not sit in a studio where surrounding noise can be controlled and determined by a sound engineer.

Sorry, not truly impressed. Also not impressed by lack of range at that price. Maybe I'd try one if it were about $75. I can probably wait a while and find them for that on ebay in a year or so. The concept of no boom is nice, but your current execution has major flaws.

Stan
wabbit45 is offline   Reply With Quote