View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu OP
1 Less Car

Oddometer: 237
Hard wire issues w/ my Nuvi 550

My Nuvi 550 has begun to lose power while I'm riding. It will re-set itself if I don't choose 'stay on battery power', and if I don't I then have to punch in the 4-digit security code to get it to turn on again. It's a real PITA.

I've done a search, and I see I'm not the only one suffering from this condition. One solution I read is to glue the USB plug into the back of the unit w/ RTV or similar, for both security and water-proofing. Well, I like to swap this unit between two bikes and my truck, so any kind of permanent mounting doesn't work for me.

I'd like to try to replace the USB hard wire plugs and try to get one with a better fit (male-to-female). Does anyone have a source for these hard wire cords, besides Garmin and/or RAM?

I'm looking for the cord with two bare wires that lead to the battery (but an SAE plug would RAWK way harder), and the 90 degree bend at the rear to fit into the back of the unit*, and finally it needs to step down the 12v power to whatever the Nuvi needs to run w/out blowing up. Can anyone help?

*which "direction" does the plug bend? Up? Down? Left? Right? How do retailers label this style of plug? Also, I'm not 100% sure it needs to be bent... I mean, why wouldn't a straight cord work?
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu is offline   Reply With Quote