View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #229
kvr929rr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I don't see those disadvantages in a Dualsport motorcycle where the bars are wider than the engine. Plus, I kind of like the idea of the cylinders hitting the tree before my leg does. In a sportbike, yeah sure the width would be a problem, but I really like the telelever front end and you couldn't really package it too much more efficiently with 10 gallons of fuel and it certainly steers more easily at speed than my K12S which has its main masses much lower and is 25lbs lighter. It's also much easier to control at low speeds. Port shape would only be very important when you're trying to make maximum power. After seeing those drawings I still don't think BMW is going to go with the unit crankcase & cylinder block. They could go with water cooled heads to maintain combustion stability and still air cool the bores without affecting the emissions too much because they stand alone. Most of your heat is rejected through the head. That would keep the radiator and volume of fluid small. And, yeah, I have seen the competition but I have to turn off the G4 so I don't hear all the whining.
kvr929rr is offline   Reply With Quote