Old 06-10-2005, 06:59 AM   #41
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redne Dab
What I wear when I'm ATG:
Helmet: Shoei RF-1000
Jacket: Hein Gericke Timbuktu (Cold weather) or Edge (Warm)
Gloves: Olympia Protectors
Pants: Hein Gericke Cargo pocket pants
Boots: Fox Trackers (Inappropriate but cheap and better than nothing)

When I'm being naughty:
Helmet: Shoei RF-1000
Jacket: Hein Gericke Timbuktu (Cold weather) or Edge (Warm)
Gloves: Olympia Protectors
Pants: Levi's
Boots: Hi-Tec 10" hikers

I'm currently in a bit of a quandry. I refuse to leave the house without my naughty list but I'm the only one I've seen in two days wearing more than a helmet! I've seen all ages and both genders out there (Oh. Forgot. Some HD riders have chaps) are wearing virtually nothing.

Is this common everywhere?

B
YES. In my experience, it is very common. Half the riders I see don't even wear helmets (here in Minnesota). I'm always amazed to see the bikers riding in the cold rain with sunglasses and no helmet. You'd think that for no other reason than comfort they have a helmet on then.

The "ATGATT" mentality is at the extreme end of the riding gear spectrum, with flip-flops and no helmet at the other extreme. Most people fall somewhere in between. Reading these boards you'd thing only risk-taking lunatics rode without head-to-toe padding. IMHO your "naughty" list is more than what 99% of what other riders wear. Are they all crazy? I think not.

FWIW, I have Kilimanjaro jacket and pants, and wear them when going for a ride, meaning at least an hour of pleasure riding. If it's warm and I'm making a quick 4 mile run to Home Depot for nuts and bolts, I wear a helmet, jeans, jean jacket and gloves. Donning all the Apollo 13 gear for a quick run can take the fun out of the quick errand.