Old 03-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #105
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 345
Watson Lake, Yukon to Carmacks, Yukon

Day 11 – June 10, 2010
Mileage Today: 390
Total Trip Mileage: 4,058

We broke down camp and continued on down the Alcan. We were headed for Dawson City, but knew we probably wouldn't make it that far today. Let's get going and see how far we get.

Right on the edge of town we came across the Sign Post Forest.

We wondered around for a bit and pointed out all the ones we found that were from a town in Texas.

Before getting back on the bike we debated putting on the rain gear, due to some ominous looking clouds, but I reckoned it was just some morning low clouds that would burn off .

About 5 mins. later we stopped to put on our rain gear. All this really consists of are some boot and glove covers for Nikki and some industrial dish gloves for me. All of our other gear is "waterproof". It's not really, but the label says it is .

But it was short lived, and the rest of the day turned out to be pretty nice.

We also had our first moose sighting today.

These things are huge. I could only imagine what it would be like to hit one. I guess it happens a lot up there.

I forgot to mention that we met a fellow rider at our campground last night.

His name is Roger, and he was from Texas too! He was riding up on his old BMW R80(i think). Super nice guy. In preparation for his trip he had bought a dehydrator and had made all his own travel food. He gave us some granola bars for the road, and although he was a stranger, he wasn't giving us candy, so we took it.

We took a break at the Nisutlin Bay Bridge viewing area.

I just wanted to lie there in the sun all day.

From there we pushed on into Whitehorse. It was a bit early to stop for the day, so we filled up with some gas, and stopped by the wal-mart for some food for dinner.

We couldn't get out of there fast enough. A couple of miles out of Whitehorse, we take a turn off the Alcan and onto the Klondike Hwy towards Dawson City. The plan is to enter Alaska via the Top of the World Hwy, so we won't be rejoining the Alcan until Tok, AK.

A brief stop along the Klondike.

And then we got to Braeburn Lodge. This was one of THE reason why Nikki wanted to come with on the trip. Ok, maybe not the only reason, but it was pretty high up on her list.

Here is why:

We ate at that thing twice, and still had to throw some away. Note to self: Next time, start in the middle!

We got a recommendation from the owner of a good camp ground on the North edge of Carmacks, so thats where we headed.

Score again! This place was perfect! Right on the Yukon River. Coal Mine Campground.

There was also a bunch of German kids on a canoeing trip of some sort staying at the campground as well. Apparently they do not have the same personal space etiquette as we do around these parts. I think we had set up our tent in the middle of what had become their path to somewhere, and just like dropping a stick in front of a mob of marching ants, they went around the obstruction, but only until they could re-enter their path. There were a lot of German kids tripping over our tent guylines . I am probably just being an uptight American about this.

Anyhow, it was a great Campsite and we rested well that night.

Tomorrow we are headed to Dawson City, maybe try our hand at panning for gold!

jordan

jglow screwed with this post 03-30-2011 at 04:32 PM
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote