View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 08:18 AM   #36
Tbone OP
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,270
HS12..Razorback II

Last weekend we headed back down south to Okeechobee for the Razorback II HS presented by SEFTR. The course consisted of sand, palmetto roots, and more sand. There were no elevation changes or water/mud crossings. Sat course was 6 miles and Sunday was 11 or so.
Haley had an eventful day. It started with the practice lap as we waited and waited for to come out of the woods.Eventually she slowly rolls in with a bit of a technical issue. Seems someone ran into her while navigating some palmetto's and the subsequent fall had wrapped her shifter all the way around backwards to the foot peg. 1st gear was what was available so made for a long frustrating loop. I shut-off her gas, laid the bike down and attempted to straighten it back, with the inevitable "snap" as it was now in 2 places. I managed to find one for a 450 at Atlantic Motorsports that worked...disaster averted. The next moment was at the starting line as we wondered" Where is Haley?". Seemed she didn't remember I had laid the bike down so she needed to treat it like it was flooded when starting it. After a mad dash to change the plug by fellow SCTB member's she made it in time for the start. One kick..2 kicks..drop into gear and she's off .
She rolled through the chicane for the first lap with a less than enthusiastic body language. The 2nd lap was a frustrating one as she dumped the bike and couldn't get it restarted. Amanda Richardson who was working the event was nice enough to stop and help Haley get going, but survival was the only thing on her mind. She rolled through to make 2 laps, and hours later was wishing she could race it again to get a better finish. She was the only Junior girl there this race so 1st place was hers, but I'm glad she still is not satisfied. After riding the course on Sunday I'm proud of her for doing 2 laps...tough stuff.

Junior Girls
Place # Name AMA # Brand City, State Point Adv Laps Elapsed
1 169G Haley Schell Honda Odessa, FL 50 0 2 1:11:48

The bike started in 1 kick so I had a good run at the first corner. As we headed for the 1st double green a rider in front of me blew the greens and had to circle around (21C Jorge Colon) so that put me 3rd out of 12. I was behind (196C) Mark Zaremskas. I started having some fun by yelling "I'm coming Mark. I'm gonna get you" at him as we wove through the woods. I need to use all the tools at my disposal to pass these guys.fight5 Eventually Mark made a mistake and I slide on by, so I'm in 2nd. Another few miles and Jorge (The guy who blew the double greens) comes banzai-ing past me with branches sticking out of his bike and the look of a man on a mission ("cough"..sandbagger.."cough") so I'm 3rd. This race I told my self I wasn't going to make the big mistake. After burying the bike in the bushes at Apollo and the mud hole at the benefit I was going to ride within my limits. My old KTM turns like a tractor and all those deep sand corner's are causing me fits. 3/4's of the way through the first lap on a long run of sand whoops a Yamaha passed me (325C Frank Gamperl) so I'm 4th as we roll through the chicane.

I was worried after the practice lap as I thought it had cost me too much energy. The course was tough, sandy, and the temp was coming up.To be in 4th at this point was better than I expected. Soon after I managed to lose the tip to my camelbak. As the water was running down my leg I tried to drink as much as I could and hope for the best. I'm tired, and dropping the bike 3 times on the 2nd lap just proves that to me. I'm leaning up on the bars and hoping every time I hang a right that it's the corner that leads out to the finish. I'm really worried that if I drop it again that's it. Then I see the checker's !!!

I ended up 4th on a course I just wanted to survive and brought home some wood, so I'm happy. The bike and I made it through in one piece and we're looking forward to firmer ground at Gatorback!!

Senior C
Place # Name AMA # Brand City, State Point Adv Laps Elapsed
1 21C Jorge Colon 105354 KTM Orlando, FL 50 10 2 1:21:00
2 325C Frank Gamperl Yamaha Deerfield Beach, FL 47 5 2 1:22:17
3 18C Vernon Hackett 223505 KTM Port St Lucie, FL 45 4 2 1:24:05
4 117C Troy Stainbrook KTM Odessa, FL 43 3 2 1:27:04
5 196C Mark Zaremskas 505078 KTM Eustis, FL 41 2 2 1:27:39
6 46C Troy Lashon 822142 KTM Jupiter, FL 40 0 2 1:35:39
7 15C Kevin Vaughan KTM North Port, FL 39 0 2 1:36:47
8 42C Brenton Teixeira KTM Key West, FL 38 0 2 1:44:33
9 26C Robert Ryan 941623 Yamaha Lake Mary, FL 37 0 1 0:44:16
10 1C Ouri Kahn Yamaha Weston, FL 36 0 1 0:46:24