View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 08:32 PM   #40
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 3,999
Finally picked up the old bike today. Come to find out it is a 1953 Model, rather than a 1954. Checking the steering head number I.D. plate shows "H COM ENGINE"
From what I read this must be the KS601 Sport which has 34 horse power rather than the std. 28 HP. Whoopee!

The numbers throughout the bike all match. The steering head plate, frame stamps, engine block, cylinders & heads were all stamped with the same numbers. I think that is good.

The headlight was peering out at me from where the bike has set for 22 years.

We easily roller her out of the dark and into the light of day. At least it rolls easily. First time its' seen the light of day since 1989. License tag sticker reads "1968".

Good Lord she's rough...

We still had 175 miles to drive so I loaded it into my enclosed cargo trailer. I would have likely left a trail of parts all the way home bouncing around on the little trailer. The bikes patina did match my old trailers patina.

One of the mufflers was laying on the floor. I dumped out a big stash of mice chow.......didn't see any rodent evidence on the bike, but I'll dig deeper of course. The throttle slides were still free. That surprised me.

Cool old stove out of a Rail Road Caboose. A buddy of mine saw it in a photo I took and said he might want it. $100.00 and it's his. Nice Patina....It lived next to the Zundapp for 22 years ...

What a heap. Beauty is definately in the eye of the beholder....I think it is beautiful!

I got a stash of original parts...fenders, braces, toolbox, front center shock, speedometer. The front forks are sprung, but NOT damped. The Dampeniing is performed by a seperate center shock absorber which rides on the top of the front fender. It bolts to the top triple tree.

Let the fun begin!

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 03-31-2011 at 10:27 PM
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote