View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #85
michael.brat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I was originally fooled by mistaken reports the oil separator was a "charcoal canister." Also, I believed the "charcoal canister" would make it far more difficult to work on my bike's carburetor. However, after reading posts by Steve, mcmc111, and Brian, techforlife, I realized the importance of the oil separator; therefore, I repented, and reinstalled the unit.

I now believe the Honda engineers had very good reasons to design, and install the oil separator; I also believe my engine will run better with it installed. In addition, I believe the carburetor can suck oil into the engine when the bike is running for extended periods at high speeds without the oil separator present.

I now realize if you loosen three spring clamps, the oil separator is quickly removed from the bike, permitting easy access to the carburetor. Therefore, I can't see any good reasons to run my bike without the oil separator.

Spud
Humm, thanks for the feedback; I'll consider that when removing the smog components! Now that you mention the charcoal canister mistake; I believe it is only on Cali models and is located on the front of the bike above the skid plate. I have one on my XR.

Mike

michael.brat screwed with this post 04-07-2011 at 09:38 PM
michael.brat is offline   Reply With Quote