View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #44
Kevin 007 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
So I just tried two more pilot jets. A 55 and a 45, and the one that was in it was a 50.
The 45 was too lean, so I didn't play with that one too much. Lean looking plug, not running smooth.
The 55 was better, I adjusted the needle height one step at a time and at each setting I adjusted the air screw in small increments right from seated to 3-1/2 turns out. I also adjusted the float height. Very time consuming
If the float is too high, what symptoms should I expect other that leaking from the overflow?

Anyways, I have it to a rideable state but it is still not perfect. I will start and idle well and perform AWSOME right through the range but at about 1/16-1/8 throttle it coughs and sputters still. And once I reach cruising speed, this is where I like to hold the throttle to maintain the speed. so its always coughing haha.

How about air intrusion between the carb and cylinder? I put a new reed gasket in it when the reed was replaced, I just put a skim of silicone on it, maybe it needs more?
The crank seals are only a few years old so I wouldn't expect them to be bad.
I put a new oring on the base of the main jet every time the carb is apart, and a new plug each work session.

P.S- I read the plug after every adjustment and its been looking clear. Not tan or dark or black, but clear....whatever thats about. The exhaust kinda smells rich however

1981 Honda Trail 110...best bikes ever!!!!!
1982 Honda Trail 110 parts bikes

2002 Gas Gas ec 400FSE.

Kevin 007 screwed with this post 04-10-2011 at 09:04 AM
Kevin 007 is offline   Reply With Quote