View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
trackpete OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Wink South America on Three Wheels

This winter, I spent 104 days riding a 125cc Peruvian Mototaxi from Lima, Peru to Ushuaia, Argentina then back up north. This thread documents that experience - in story, in photos, and in videos.

Hi, I'm Pete! I am a long time lurker on ADV, though a quite experienced adventure rider. I was inspired to finally join a bit and post after meeting some cool ADV people in person on my scooter trip to the Arctic Circle and thought I'd do a real ADV-style ride report for my current expedition:

South America on Three Wheels

A year and a half ago I fell in love with the idea of the Peruvian style mototaxi, a three wheeled tuk-tuk that combines the real live front end of a motorcycle with a padded bench and some wheels. I joined up with The Adventurists to drive one around on their pioneer Mototaxi Junket, during which I became in all likelihood the first person in the history of the world to cross the Salar de Uyuni on such a vehicle:

I knew I wanted to spend more time in South America - and more time on three wheels - so when I got back from the top of the world, I decided it was time to head towards the bottom. Even better, I decided to do it at the wrong time of year, heading south into the teeth of oncoming winter... because what's the point if it's all fun and games?

On April 14 I arrived in Peru, and by April 16 I had purchased a brand new Honda CG125NL Motokar Ultra Abierta. With a ten day wait for delivery followed by another fifteen or so days for all the paperwork, I spent some time learning to surf and jetting over to Easter Island. I returned from Lima today to get the great news:

My mototaxi is here, and the paperwork will be ready tomorrow. My journey south - first to Ushaia, then back up north to who knows where - will begin this weekend.

I hope you'll enjoy coming with me on this adventure!

For more stories about me, including some photos and videos of past adventures, please pop over to my personal web site at whoispete.com. Otherwise, see you around ADV as things get rolling...

This is the Mototaxi:

Customized SPOT path, zoom out to see the entire route history:

Here are a few photos to get you interested, there are tons more throughout the thread that will blow your mind!

This is what I looked like when it started:

This is what I looked like when it ended:

You know you wanna read it. :)
-----
Check out my 2009-2010 Adventure Highlight Video on Vimeo!

trackpete screwed with this post 08-17-2011 at 09:23 AM Reason: Updating at end of ride
trackpete is offline   Reply With Quote