View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #52
bmwhacker OP
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,284
Maroon Green Elephant.
Tires were pretty much flat but to my surprise they still held air after all the dormant years. Sure rolls easier with air in the tires.
Out for her first bath in 30 years. Used up a big can of de-greaser and knocked off a few dozen years of grime.

The bike is heavy and a bitch to get up on the center stand....I tweeked my shoulder pulling her up. I rigged the blue side hack leg
I had sitting around to avoid the center stand for now. Came to find out that the center stand has a ratchet device which doesn't require a total deployment. A spring is missing so I'll try to fix it.

Started looking things over closer:

The tank interior looked completely clean as far as I can tell. Still has the little removable fuel strainer screen in place. I'll bet most of them went to the garbage.

The fuel petcocks look real good and still turn as they should with minimal resistance.

The transmission linkage travels through the transmission from the pedal to this exterior linkage. The earlier "hand shift" Zundapps have a similar linkage that goes to the hand shift lever, rather than through the transmission to the left side.

A familiar name...

The Bing carb rubber covers are still there but pretty close to rotting.
Individual rocker covers for each valve.

The frame has factory installed sidecar lugs for a chair.

The brake hub is very straight with stains but no scars....the big end fork nut at the bottom simply screws out to release the axle for tire changing. Kind of scary. No tools needed, just a little bar. The front and rear wheels are interchangable too.

These photos show the center mounted front shock which extends up through the triple tree. From what I can figure the forks have no damping ability, just springs. The center shock bolts to the fender and performs the damping duties.
The big alloy headlight ears are painted on most of the other Zundapp photos I've seen. I kind of like the raw metal look.

Won't be pulling anything apart for a few months as we'll be out of state until late June. Have to leave the projects sit for a while.

The heads will come off when I get back to things and we'll see how bad or good things are. I don't have my hopes set too high.

The further engine investigation will determine if I proceed or bail out and put her up for sale. Just can't afford spending a fortune restoring it. If I can get her running for under a grand I'll be elated.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 04-18-2011 at 11:10 PM
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote