View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #15
SteelRain
Beer Cooled

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon View Post
I used to work with a older dude (hes 70 now) and he had been riding since he was 16 on the street. He told me that the lay it down thing used to be common wisdom when brakes on bikes sucked. You drop the bike and give yourself a buffer zone between you and whatever. But he told me with any bike made in the last 25 years youre better off staying on the tires now that bike brakes work like they ought to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow 9er View Post
This.
I've heard the "lay 'er down" advice from a few folks over the years, and it always sounded awfully fatalistic. If you have time to bail off and Lay 'Er Down, you have time to evade/avoid/brake...If not, you need to learn to pay better attention!

I have to agree. I have been riding (offroad) since I was old enough to get a leg over the bike (Mom says 6, Dad says 5 - maybe it was my birthday). Got a H-D for my 16th BDay (I was racing an HD flattracker at that time, my parents had good intentions)

Until last year I raced SBK, now this older gentleman has been riding longer than me, and many others have also; but never once have I ever even thought I should lay the bike down to avoid something. The physics don't really work out that well, but more importantly a little throttle and a little lean goes a long way.

BTW, I have been riding more than 25 years.
XR650R (plated) - Disaster is falling in love with me; maybe I should stop flirting.
SteelRain is offline   Reply With Quote