View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 11:52 PM   #46
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Hi, my name is Marc and I "laid er down".

It started as a casual thing, I would bomb down the trails in Soledad Canyon almost every weekend on my 1971 Suzuki TS 90.

I started to realize that it was getting out of hand when I would fantasize that I was racing in Baja and keep the throttle pinned around blind curves on a trail that I had ridden (literally) a hundred times. I knew it was stupid, but all my friends would ride fast on blind trails too.

They say you can't start to recover until you hit bottom, and for me that day was Feb 23rd, 1975.

Late in the afternoon I was riding along on an old mine road that followed the contours halfway up to a ridge on the right and a canyon on the left. Sure I was going fast, but I thought I was in control. I came around a right hand curve that led into a side canyon before coming back out to the main canyon. This time there had been some heavy rain mid week and the trail was completely washed out...

I grabbed the brakes and started to scrub off speed, but I realized that there was no way I was going to stop before the edge. I threw the bike down on the right side and sprawled myself onto the dirt, the bikes' momentum carried it away from me and I clawed at the ground to no avail as I slid over the edge like Wile E. Coyote in slow motion.

Fortunately, the ravine was only about ten feet deep and I landed on my feet on some sand and gravel. My bike had gone farther than I and was laying on it's side, handlebars bent, tank dented, front fender busted.

Once I realized that I was unhurt I started to think about the fading sunlight and how I would get out of there and back to the trailer. I couldn't climb up and out with the bike and there was about an 8' drop to the sandy canyon bottom. Well there was nothing else to do than to roll the bike to the edge and just let it fall! A few kicks to the handle bar, pull off the remains of the fender, a couple of kicks to clear the motor and we're back in business.

It's been years, but I still take it one day at a time. I recognize that I have a disease and I know that it only takes one long pull on that throttle and I could be right back on my face in the dirt.

Thank you for listening and for your support .
My name is Marc, I'm an Adventure Rider and a recovering "Laid er Downer".
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote