View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #62
Husky Varmit
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Old Timers

Originally Posted by dillon
I used to work with a older dude (hes 70 now) and he had been riding since he was 16 on the street. He told me that the lay it down thing used to be common wisdom when brakes on bikes sucked. You drop the bike and give yourself a buffer zone between you and whatever. But he told me with any bike made in the last 25 years youre better off staying on the tires now that bike brakes work like they ought to.

-------------------
I think that might be open for discussion. I am 65 next month and started racing at 13 (you do the math - I'm too old). I can't remember at any time in those years being advised to do anything other than the standard routine - when there just ain't any other options, pick the softest thing around and hit it as slowly as you can. Heck, we were even taught that in flight training - fly it all the way to the crash site.

Seriously, about the only time I can think of that I would intentionally 'lay 'er down' was those times when you had to rassle the bike down the face of a hill, but even at those times the bike would darned near be in line with the gravitational pull. And, yes, that includes things like Bultacos with wet brakes, 50's and 60's BSA's, even that Laverda that the engineers swore they put brakes on that none of us were ever able to verify after the first lap and a bunch of other really evil handling things that thankfully my mind has mostly erased the horror of.

I mean, come on younger riders, do you really think we could have passed on the exquisite form of the FLYING W if we weren't constantly thinking - I can save this.

Husky Varmit is offline   Reply With Quote