View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #63
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I like to go out and find diesel spills in corners for my practice sessions.
I found an oil spill on the way home a few years ago and realize now, in hindsight, it would have been the perfect opportunity to practice laying er down. Silly me, I balanced it out, rode out the slight fishtail that developed at 55 mph and kept on going. I mean, I never realized I needed the practice. just rode home and cleaned out my pants.

On a related note, I was at my local USA HD shop last summer buying some parts for my low rider. I was also shopping for a new jacket so I was in the clothes section. I overheard this:

Customer: so, what about this helmet thing?

Shop attendant: well, normally we recommend helmets for new riders, just until you get the feel for riding. After that, of course, you dont really need one. Of course some states make you wear them, so if you plan to ride outside of wisconsin you need to have at least something along.

Customer: so, how long should I think about wearing a helmet?

Me (silently): as long as you want to live. Oh dear lord!

Shop guy: well, at least for one season. As a new rider you will probably need to lay er down a few times.

Me (silently): oh for fucks sake.

I did pull the new guy aside and tell him that if he wants to live, he should ignore the idiot he was just talking to, and the go over to the jap shop and buy a full face shoei, arai, or similar. The helmets sold at HD dealers are pretty much junk, in keeping with their unofficial corporate philosophy that helmets are for pansies. The look on his face told me that he wasn't going to follow my advice, but at least I gave it to him.

Basicaly, if this is what the noobs get fed at the dealers, by dealer staff, what else do you guys expect? I love my Harley, but their dealerships really take a wink-wink nudge-nudge attitude toward safety and skills at times.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote