View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 03:12 AM   #67
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I am not disputing your story and that sales person was/is an idiot...BUT you typing out that this is somehow an "unofficial corporate philosophy" is Complete and utter BULLSHIT!!!

(I am very certain that HD would like to hear what store you heard this crap being spewed in)

This is the Official Harley Davidson philosophy:

A motorcycle helmet is not a novelty. Your helmet is a serious piece of
safety gear, and should be carefully selected. While we strive to make
Harley-Davidson helmets great looking, our primary concern is the
protection they provide our riders. Whether you’ve always worn a helmet
or wearing one is new to you, here are some basics you need to know in
order to optimize your safety and comfort on the road.

While it may seem like there are as many helmets to choose from as there are roads to ride, all helmets have four major components: a rigid outer shell, an EPS (Expanded Polystyrene) impact-absorbing liner, padding for fit and comfort, and a retention system. All Harley-Davidson helmets meet DOT requirements, and some are SNELL approved.

Half Helmets:
They’re small, light and cool in hot weather. Because they cover the least amount of head area, they offer basic protection.

Three-Quarter Helmets
A step up in coverage, providing more protection for the sides of the head. Warmer to wear than a half helmet, however most are equipped with venting systems for added comfort. Some three-quarter helmets come equipped with a face shield or snap-on visor.

Full-Face Helmets
Full coverage of head and face, for optimal protection. Equipped with a flip-up face shield. Warm in the winter and, with a flow-through ventilation system, comfortable in warm weather, too.

Modular Helmet
A combination of the benefits of full-face and three-quarter helmets. Flip up the face/chin module for ease in taking on and off and for full face exposure. Always ride with the module in the closed position.

Proper fit is vital to the performance and effectiveness of any helmet.

If a helmet is dropped or suffers any impact, it should be replaced immediately. Impact may fracture the outer shell or compress the impact-absorbing liner, and the damage may not be visible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

There is much more but I am sure you get the idea... HD instructs staff to urge people towards NOT AWAY from Full-Face Helmets. Ultimately it is up to the individual rider what he/she wears as it should be.
Point retracted, dakez. I am not here to malign the corporation itself, so yes the choice of words "unoffical corporate philosophy" were poorly chosen.

I do, however, spend enough time in their shops to know that regardless of what the mo co says in their documents and other releases, some of their staff either by overt statements or by simple omission allow a very irresponsible riding and lax safety attitude to persist. Almost laughing at the idea of using a helmet once in a while. Sadly, given the number of riders who start with a Harley, whether best choice or not, this is a very bad way to start them on their riding career.

I will point out that the older HD dealerships have been less lax this way though. Decker HD in Madison, wisconsin (now closed and replaced with a shopping mall sized t shirt store where, incidentally, I heard the conversation) not only would never have said such a thing, but also refused to do other things including putting screaming eagle exhausts on anything but the drag bikes, on the grounds that it was not acceptable to put racing equipment on street bikes and the loud pipes do not, in fact, save lives.

Edit: I will confirm for public record that I heard the conversation in Madison, Wisconsin, at Capitol city HD.
FinlandThumper is online now   Reply With Quote