View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,565
Can a Harley make it to Magadan?

SPOT tracker link;

http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?...b4de3265776584

I want to visit Magadan & ride the Road of Bones.

I could do it like everyone else, with a BMW, Africa Twin, KTM, or other factory adventure go anywhere bike.

and have a good time doing it.

But that just aint my style. I'm a bike guy, not really a 'harley guy' but I do like doing things with HD's that the moco had never planned on, and would probably frown on. Which is fine with me, because altho I like the bikes ok, I dont have alot of use for the moco or their minions. I dont even own a pirate hat.

So I hunted around, & found a low mileage 2003 1200 sporty. I really wanted an 03, as thats their special 100th anniversary bike (even tho it was actually only their 98th anniversary)

oooo....isnt it pretty!

As Im from Alabama, I decided to jack it up a bit, which is what we do to our pickups & camaros down in these parts. I never could figure out where to mount the easy rider rifle rack tho, so I left it off.

this is basically how it looks now, altho I swapped out the alloy bags with soft bags, as when I tested it out in some mud, I could see those big ass bags causing me problems.

I call it an XL/GS Dirtster

ok, now I know Im gonna catch hell, yes, it has shocks. long shocks. and no springer fork. But have you ever seen pics of the RoB?
I do want to make it to Magadan, and in 1 piece.

so heres sorta my route, variances on whether I get a visa for Iran or not, which as of now, doesnt look to good.

Oh, you thought I'd take the short route to Magadan?

brown is my route there, white is the return

heres my Spot tracker link

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...rHbqMGqmBcSYjc

also, I'm hoping to visit the NE part of Afghanistan before the Pamir highway

right now, Im in Frankfurt, Germany, waiting on my bike to get here, then I'll be off, like a herd of turtles!

Doug

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug screwed with this post 05-30-2011 at 02:25 AM
rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote