View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 03:26 AM   #201
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,645
of course the forks are spindly, they are from a KTM.

the bike build can be found here

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516355

its rather long, but the dirtster is towards the end. It handles fine, not as comfy as the chopper, but better offroad. I did a crappy video here (I didnt know there was moisture in the lens)

I plan to meet Tom in Yakutsk August 5th. thats the best time of year, as far as the road goes. water should be down, but the bugs will be horrible.

And just remember, 'hideous equipment' is a personal observation. I had almost no breakdowns on the chopper, & 2 BMW 'Adventure' bikes had to be pushed onto the boat at the end of Russia, and trucked to a repair shop in Tokyo.

Will the Dirtster do the Dakar? no. but will it handle this trip? probably. Hard to beat an evo sporty for reliability, and I changed none of that, its basically a stock bike, I just jacked it up a bit.

Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighaasfly View Post
First, where did you get those forks? They look a little spindley. And can you provide a parts list (for our humor)? With that new geometry in play, what does that do to the handling? Oh wait, considering what you usually ride it must handle quite nice eh?

Second, I have some acquaintences who made the same trip (and they filmed it!) but lamented that they left too early and found the rivers to be quite high. Isn't this going to be a problem for you as well? Or are you hoping to catch them still frozen over and just blast across the icy top?

Third, I don't know why you do this to yourself (travel ridiculous distances on hideous equipment), but it sure is entertaining for yours truly and company! Thanks!

Safe travels my friend.

Brian

rtwdoug screwed with this post 04-30-2011 at 03:32 AM
rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote