View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
I have the standard seat and also like it in the low position, I think. Need to ride more to figure that out. Only the front of the rider section of the seat moves up or down, meaning the rear part of the riders seat stays put. So the low position tilts the seat forward a bit, not too bad, but a little. I definitely feel like I am sitting more "in the bike" with the seat in the low position.
This bit is definitely not correct. When you take the seat off and flit it over, there are two metal bars held into place with rubber straps, one at the front and one at the rear of the seat. If you move both of them to the low setting and then properly reinstall the seat, both ends of the seat sit lower. This is easy to confirm by sight - with the seat in the high position, the rear of the seat is flush with the passenger seat. With the seat in the low position, the rear of the seat is visibly lower than the front edge of the passenger seat and it's also visibly lower along the tank as well.

I think the reason that TPMS is not available on the XC is due to the use of tubes. The TPMS sensors go inside the wheels and replace the valve stems. With tube tires, the valve stems are part of the tubes. So unless someone starts making Triumph-TPMS-compatible tubes with TPMS sensors already built into the tubes, it ain't gonna happen.

I like the idea of TPMS but I don't like the implementation. The TPMS sensors are little radio transmitters powered by batteries. When the batteries die, the TPMS sensor has to be replaced and of course being inside the rim, the tire has to come off to do so.

Triumph also notes in the owner's manual that the TPMS system is not to be used when setting tire pressure because you could set it to incorrect values. So it seems kind of more trouble than it's worth (to me) and that the only thing it's really good for is to alert you on the move if one of your tires starts losing air.